Last night I decided to try out a new Corn & Lentil Taco from a Pinterest recipe. It was delicious! I am always eager to find ways to bulk up plant based protein and lentil are packed with them! I added homemade salsa and fresh Cilantro to top it all off. It was the perfect pre workout dinner too. Here’s how mine turned out:
Lentils are packed with nutrients like fiber, protein, minerals and vitamins yet still low in calories. Out of all the legumes, lentils contain the third highest level of protein, making it a staple for our plant based diet!
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2½ cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 10 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 1 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- In a nonstick sauce pan, heat oil until hot. Add onion and sauté until tender, about 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the lentils, chili powder, cumin, oregano, and salt; cook and stir for 1 minute. Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until the lentils are tender. Uncover and stir in corn; cook for 6-8 minutes or until mixture is thickened and corn is hot.
- Serve hot lentils and corn in taco shells, topped with cilantro and other favorite toppings.