If you are coffee lover then sit back while I rock your world. Charlie and I have been learning so much about the importance of regularly consuming “good fat” in your diet. As a matter of fact, we eat a generous amount of healthy fat daily. Avocados, almonds & cashews, coconut oil, and raw butter & milk. There has been a huge misconception that fat, like in butter, is bad for you and will cause you to gain weight and clog your arteries. This is simply not true and there is “very little evidence to support the contention that a diet low in cholesterol and saturated fat actually reduces death from heart disease or in any way increases one’s life span.” I highly encourage you to read this article by Dr. Axe on The Truth About Saturated Fat.
Charlie and I are a testament that good fat burns fat! We have been consuming good fat on a daily basis for a year and we are still shedding pounds! One of the ways that Charlie get’s his good fat in is by putting raw butter in his coffee!
He had learned that by putting raw butter (best) or organic grass-fed butter in your coffee that it would give you a swift kick in the pants of energy, focus and alertness. He decided to put this theory to test a few weeks ago and let me just say the dude is in love! While the combo may seem gross, the taste is certainly not. In fact, once the butter melts it looks like a creamy latte.
Since Charlie has been doing the butter + coffee combo what he notices most has been:
- Incredible alertness after just 1 cup of coffee. Which is something he might get after 2-3 cups, in turn has helped him drink much less in the morning.
- He also noticed the alertness was consistent throughout the day without a crash mid morning
- He loves the taste and is thoroughly enjoying the health benefits
Other benefits of coffee + raw butter or grass fed butter are:
- Grass-fed butter has the best ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acids (which reduces body fat) and is a good source of vitamin K
- It provides healthy fats for your brain and body to create cell walls (membranes) and hormones.
- Drinking it each morning puts your body in the routine to burn fat all day, helping you trim down overall. (YAY!)
- gives you energy as well as increase cognitive function that you can literally feel when it kicks in for about six hours- and without the crash.
Another awesome way to receive the good fat benefit is to also add organic coconut oil to your coffee. By adding coconut it really rev’s up your drink and produce ketones, which are created when your body creates energy from fat rather than carbohydrates.
The butter you use MUST be organic grass fed (Kerrygold Irish Butter is a great choice and easy to find in grocery stores) or even BETTER Raw Butter (research online for local farmers to purchase raw butter)! The reason for this is Most cows are corn or soy fed. It’s cheap and filling, but cows aren’t actually meant to eat that! They can’t even digest it properly and their milk produces the kinds of fats you don’t want in your body.
Here’s the recipe for your Superman Java:
- High quality coffee (unless you enjoy a daily dose of pesticides in your morning cup, stick to organic coffee)
- 1-2 teaspoons of raw butter or grass fed butter (look for kerrygold irish butter)
- Optional but certainly recommended 1 teaspoon of coconut oil
- Need a sweet kick? Add a few drop of Stevia Extract or organic vanilla
Mix with a spoon or blend all ingredients in a food processor and ENJOY!