I am so proud of my husband! He has been on this journey of health with me and has taken it upon himself to commit to achieving personal goals. 2 years ago he started with changing his diet by eliminating processed sugary junk and replacing with whole real foods. By changing his diet he lost 20 lbs, gained incredible amounts of energy and became determined to build strength. He continually educates himself and more importantly he is committed to making workouts a part of his weekly routine.
We aren’t training for a body builder competition or desiring fast results but rather incorporating working out as a lifestyle. Through researching and following trusted health experts like Dr. Axe, Charlie has been following a wonderful plan to build muscle and strength. In just 8 months he has noticed major change in his overall strength and muscle growth.
My husband is one the hardest working people I know. Not only is he a full time senior web designer but he also manages our photography business and does freelance on the side. Amongst all those things he is an amazing dad and never lets work come before his family. Finding time for himself has been difficult but we have given grace to each other so that we can purse our personal goals. Since he is so busy he has to find a workout regimen that was realistic for his routine and easy to commit to. After a lot of trial and error, researching different methods Charlie now has a solid workout structure that he has enjoyed following and achieves weekly.
Here are 3 ways you can begin building muscle weekly:
1) Lifting + HIIT (High Intense Interval Training). You won’t believe this but you can build muscle in just 2-3 days a week! One of the methods that Charlie has learned is that REST is actually extremely important to muscle growth and that the best muscle-building results come from having 3-5 days of training with a few rest days within the mix. Because he’s a busy dad, entrepreneur and web designer his week doesn’t allot time for rigorous time consuming exercise. His results have come from 2 days of superset lifting and the opposite days of HIIT training.
2) Whole Food Superhuman Shake for Strength + Muscle. Every morning Charlie makes his whole food protein powder shake full of wholesome power packed ingredients. There is nothing artificial or processed in this shake making it an amazing whole food breakfast!
Dr. Axe’s Superhuman Shake (Charlie has a dairy allergy so he omits all the dairy)
- 3 Raw Eggs
- 1 Scoop Organic Protein Powder (whey or plant-based)
- 4-8 oz. Coconut Milk or Kefir or yogurt
- 1 Banana
- 3 Tablespoons (TBSP) Almond Butter
- 1 TBSP Flax Meal or Chia Seeds
- 1 TSP Cinnamon
3) Clean Diet One of the best ways to increase strength and boost vitality is by what you put into your body! We avoid sugars and even grains as much as we can. Charlie struggles with gluten and dairy so we keep protein and phytonutrients at the forefront our diet! Through eating clean, organic and packing in protein and veggies we have noticed a huge change in our overall health.
If you are struggling to either commit or not sure where to start here is a basic laid out plan to building strength and muscle found on Dr. Axe site: You can commit to either 2-3 days of lifting while doing HIIT routines on your opposite days right in your home.
Other amazing resources that we use, Fitness Blender Videos that offer over 300 free workout routines including lifting videos.
Make realistic goals that are easy to commit to so that you can achieve whatever your goals may be! Start with a decision, make a plan and you will succeed!